BigMemory has achieved a lot of success in its three plus years of existence. The interest and the demand for the product continues to grow. This post shares why customers love BigMemory and the features that make it a market leader with the tenacity to stay at the top.
- Ease of integration / Snap-in – BigMemory is designed for ease of integration with existing applications whether it is a Java, C++ or .Net/C# application. Additionally, for existing users of Ehcache, BigMemory can just ‘snap-in’ with two lines of configuration change, further reducing the time to start using BigMemory. Customers love this, as they do not want another complex and lengthy integration project.
- High availability – Being an in-memory product, the general perception is that the data is not durable and therefore cannot operate in a mission-critical environment that requires high availability. This is a myth. BigMemory is built for high availability and fault tolerance as can be seen by existing deployments that require close to five 9′s of availability for detecting fraud, online gaming and travel reservations, among others.
- Scaling with predictable latency – All customers want their BigMemory deployment to scale as their business grows. What makes BigMemory more attractive is that it can scale without impacting access latency. For example, if a customer is observing a latency of 5ms with 100GB of data in-memory, BigMemory will continue to be around that latency when the data volumes grow to say 1 TB in-memory. Predictable latency is the big reason why we are ‘the’ product for large multiple terabyte deployments.
- Short learning curve – The interfaces to BigMemory are extremely simple to use. Most customers require a few hours of training and less than one FTE to manage the product in Production. If a customer is already using Ehcache, it makes the learning curve even shorter to start using BigMemory.
- Runs on any hardware – BigMemory is hardware agnostic and runs on any hardware that can meet the memory requirements of a customer’s use case. Customers love this, as they do not have to buy specialized hardware appliances to start using BigMemory. In most instances, they just use the existing hardware in their data centers to deploy BigMemory.
It will be great to hear about your experiences with BigMemory. Please leave a comment below or contact me here.